Monday, December 19, 2011

Best and Worst Products of 2011

Today, my lovelies, I'm going to write a post about a few of my favorite (and least favorite) products.  Some of them I've already mentioned here, some of them I haven't really touched on before.  And no, they aren't in any particular order.  It would be kind of unfair to compare and rank  products that serve completely different purposes.  So let's get this show on the road, shall we?
Here are my faves!

1. Gap SPF 18 Favorite Lip Balm - If you are prone to cold sores (my dad and sister don't get them, but my mom and I were not so lucky,) it's a good idea to find a good lip balm with sunscreen as a preventative measure.  This stuff is silky, ultra-moisturizing, and I love the variety of fruity scents.  You can find it at most Gap stores.

2. My Pretty Zombie Eyeshadows - MPZ eyeshadows come in a variety of unique colors (I love Amacyst and Quinsy,) and the application is fabulous.  I don't own very many of these shadows, but I am very fond of the shades I have.  Find it at http://www.etsy.com/shop/MyPrettyZombie

3. Lancôme Définicils Mascara - The Définicils formula provides a realistic boost to lashes without clumping up and creating spider lashes.  The brush separates lashes well, and if I forget I'm wearing makeup and rub my eye, it doesn't flake and leave mascara bits on my face.  Find it at your nearest Lancôme counter, or buy it online.

4. Urban Decay Primer Potion - This stuff provides a base for eyeshadows that provides true colors and great staying power throughout the day.  I did a Battle of the Primers post and UDPP was the winner, followed closely by Too Faced Shadow Insurance and NYX Jumbo Pencil.  You can find it online, and at beauty retailers like Sephora or Ulta.

5. RockABetty Beauty's The Wet Spot Foiling Medium - Mix a drop of this with a loose shadow to turn it into a bold liner, or use it to create a solid mask of color.  I couldn't find this particular product to link, but you can find RABB here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/RockABettyBeauty

And here are the products that really fell flat for me...

1. Hi-Fi Cosmetics Paparazzi Flash Powder - Paparazzi Flash Powder is here because of the size of the glitter makes me really uncomfortable, and I would never wear it on my eyes.  I might make it into nail polish, but as I noted in my Hi-Fi review, I really doubt that the product is safe for its advertised use, despite the claims of cosmetic grade glitter boasted in the listings.  You can find Hi-Fi Cosmetics here: http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/hificosmetics

2. Ulta Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover - I felt like this makeup remover was just so-so.  It takes a lot of rubbing to get mascara off, which in turn irritates my eye area.  And I really have to give it a few tries to get the smudgy black residue completely gone.  Find it at Ulta stores.

3. Palladio Herbal Lip Slix - I found this formula to be very thick, and it settles into the lines of my lips.  I was expecting it to be more like a sheer balm, but it definitely leans more toward a lipstick.  I haven't tried wearing it over a balm to see if that helps, but I'll probably do a formal post about these later (with swatches.)  You can probably find these at Sally Beauty Supply, but I got mine from the Palladio website.

4. Lancôme Hypnôse Drama Mascara - This formula didn't work for me.  I felt like my lashes were really clumpy and fake-looking when I put it on, and using a lash primer heightened this effect.  I think this would work well for somebody with really thin eyelashes desiring more volume, but for me it was a bust.  You can find it at your nearest Lancôme counter, or online.

5. Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer - While the color payoff and staying power of this primer is okay, it didn't perform exceptionally for me at anything.   I ranked it at the back of the pack in my Battle of the Primers post because it was also the most expensive primer I tested for the post, and it had the least amount of product.  You can find it at a number of beauty retailers, or on the Smashbox website.

---
Any statements made on this blog are my own opinion; my intent is to provide an honest and thorough review of my personal experiences for the benefit of my readers.  All products are purchased by me, with no monetary or other compensation provided.  Any product given to me as a gift will be accepted, but not  treated with favor over products I have purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...