Monday, March 12, 2012

Maybelline SuperStay 10 Stain Gloss Swatch + Wear Test

I picked up a tube of Maybelline Superstay 10 Hour Stain Gloss in Cool Coral the last time I was out and about shopping for beauty-type stuff.  I decided to put it to the test and photograph it throughout the day.  See the results behind the jump!

First of all, I have no idea how they came up with the name Cool Coral for this color.  It's not in any way what any sane person would consider coral at all.  That's not to say that it's not a pretty color, it just was nothing like what I expected.  I'm honestly not sure this particular tube had the right color in it.  It is an intense pinkish-red, so that was a little jarring when I was expecting coral.  The applicator is similar to the style that Lancome uses, and I quite like it.
The gloss itself has sort of a light fruity scent, with a flavor to match.  One swipe gives a nice, even coat of color.  It's really runny at first, but once it settles in a bit it has a  nice, non-sticky feel to it.  It doesn't feel particularly nourishing, but it also didn't feel drying.  The finish is glossy, but not ultra-shiny.  Color payoff is really good with one coat, but you can really crank up the intensity when you layer it up.  The first time I used it, I did one coat and took a preliminary before and after, but didn't have time to photograph it during the day because I was at work.  I paired it with a simple eye (black liner on upper lashline and mascara, no shadow) and a swipe of pink blush.  I will say that one coat did not last ten hours.  I applied at about 11:30 a.m. before work and it was pretty much gone when I came back from my break at five.  I did get a couple of compliments from co-workers before it wore off, though.   Yesterday I wore it for the third time, applied liberally, and made sure to get photographs throughout the day.   Let's see how it fared, shall we?

 Nekkid lips
 Directly after applying
 One hour in
After two hours
 Directly before eating
 After eating
 Ten hours

So yeah, it didn't last anywhere close to ten hours for me.  Even though I wasn't eating (I had a few sips of Coke within those first three hours, but hadn't yet eaten a meal,) it started to flake after a couple of hours and faded significantly in three.  It flaked almost completely off after eating, and was completely gone for all intents and purposes by ten hours.  I've worn it three times now with the same results.  If you're looking for a long-lasting lip color with no touch-ups required, I don't recommend it.  If you don't mind touching it up every few hours, it is a nice gloss.  Have you tried this yet?  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. My friend and I both used this product. We both enjoyed it. It lasted about 8 hours for us. No fading at all. We both put it on after exfoliating, and at other times, without exfoliating. I do agree though, that it is pretty runny and kinda sticky when you first put it on. Dries fairly fast. I even put chap-stick over it, and the color didn't budge.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...