Saturday, August 16, 2014

Essie Too Taboo + Chills & Thrills Swatches

I've got two shades from Essie's Too Taboo Summer Neon collection for you guys today, namely Too Taboo and Chills & Thrills.  These colors had me swooning as soon as I saw this collection.  I've also got a comparison swatch for Chills & Thrills!
Both of these have a semi-matte finish, so I wanted to show you Too Taboo with and without a top coat (I used Sally Hansen Insta-Dri, as usual).  Swatch shows two coats of Too Taboo; pinkie finger and middle finger show no top coat, index and ring finger show with top coat.  Too Taboo is a nice, blue-leaning pink with a great formula that self-levels pretty well.  I like it both with and without the top coat.
Chills & Thrills is a gorgeous light indigo color.  I would definitely call this a "blurple."  Swatch above shows two coats of Chills & Thrills with two coats of Sally Hansen Insta-Dri (I usually only use one coat of Insta-Dri).  Although I love this color, the formula was a huge miss for me.  It was starting to dry before I finished painting one nail, so I had trouble spreading it and ended up with kind of a lumpy mess, and top coat didn't do much to even it out.  Without a top coat, it has the same semi-matte finish as Too Taboo.  If you look at the bottle (you can always click a photo to view it larger), there are a couple of white flecks inside.  Perhaps I got a bad batch?  I haven't heard of anybody else that had issues with this color, so I don't know what to think.
And now, the comparison!  I thought at first that Chills & Thrills looked similar in hue to Butter London's Giddy Kipper.  I knew right away that it wasn't a dupe (Giddy Kipper is shimmery), but I thought they would be much closer once it was on the nail and dried.  Nope.  Chills & Thrills is significantly lighter and more cool-toned.  Add in Giddy Kipper's shimmer and Chills & Thrills' semi-matte finish, and it's not even close to a dupe.

So what do you guys think?  I found it really strange that two shades from the same collection would have such drastically different formulas.  Maybe my bottle came from a bad batch.  Do you have Chills & Thrills?  If so, is it as much of a pain as mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...